Thursday, December 11, 2008

Truffle Pillow: TGRWT Trial #1


Wouldn't you love to just nestle your tired little head into a pillow of soft chocolate?
This month's They Go Really Well Together flavor pairing is chocolate and caraway. I have an idea for my final product, but I wanted to taste the combo first, so I steeped toasted caraway in water for three hours, then I made a water based ganache. Water ganaches really are great since you get a pure flavor - no dairy to cloud the issue. I didn't measure amounts on this batch and ended up with a perfect texture - just strong enough to hold, but so incredibly soft that they oozed to engulf your mouth the second your breath hit them.

But how was the taste? Well, I didn't taste the caraway at all. That's a bummer. So, next I'll try an oil infusion...butter or a neutral oil. I've got lot's of time on this one, so plenty of practice to be enjoyed. It also led me to package my truffles and put them on the shelf for some lucky customer.

3 comments:

Tri2Cook said...

Can't wait to see what you have in mind for this round. Something unexpected and cool no doubt. I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do as well. Whether or not I can pull it off may be a different story but the idea is there.

Manggy said...

I didn't know water ganache was sturdy enough to be rolled! Nice job, Rob.
Maybe you could even boil the water as you steep, or boil it all the way (I doubt the caraway's character would change drastically at 212°F... Would it?)
But the butter option is of course a good one too :)

Lori Lynn said...

Oh, I was all excited about the pairing. I love to hear about unique food pairings. Well, looking forward to seeing how the next batch goes.