Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Recipe: Maque Choux

I think its funny that the Cajun food I enjoy the most is one I never had while I lived in New Orleans. Why didn't Auntie Young ever make this for me?! I discovered Maque Choux (Mock Choo) while living in Indianapolis.

I used to be known as a professional luncher back then as I wined and dined prospective donors to the agency I ran - Indiana Youth Group. One of my favorite supporters and friends was the most Reverend, Bishop Al Lankenau. Al and I would find almost any hole in the wall. One of our favorites was Yat's. It's just a little dive, but man did Joe's food sing to my soul. (His new Chicago location was recently lambasted on eGullet.) But never mind all that, his was the first maque choux that I ever had, and I ate a lot of it. A lot. Al would marvel at my ability to eat two plates, and the nasty butter bread, and a beer or two.

Maque Choux is my special this week at the cafè, and became dinner for Tyler and I tonight.

It may not look like much, but give it a try and tell me that it isn't better than puppy dog kisses!

Here we go:
(Serves 2 big stomachs or 4 normal stomachs)
4 T. Butter
4 C. Corn (fresh is preferable, but frozen will suffice if you're too lazy to zip the kernels)
1 C. Onion, chopped
1/2 C. Diced bell pepper - any color
2 T. Cajun Spice (I only use Tony Chachere's)
1/2 C. Cream

First, for you foodies who are going to tell me that true maque choux uses the corn milk to thicken this dish...I know, but back off y'all, this is a good version!
Second, this meal can be made in less than 30 minutes, so blow it off for a while and enjoy a Dixie beer while you ponder your last Mardi Gras embarrassments.

Melt the butter in a dutch oven, then add everything but the cream. Stir, scraping the bottom until it starts to stick and get black stuff all over (them's is flavor crystals brah). Finally, after about 10-15 minutes, but a few minutes before you're going to eat, add the cream and stir. At the cafè I added andouille and chicken to this, and for dinner just the sausage, both were very good. I like it with jasmine rice.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Manggy said...

them's is flavor crystals brah
Oh, Rob, you slay me! Anyway, that looks really good (it caught my eye in an issue of Bon Appetit once). I really need to stock up on andouille already!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.