Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Day I've Feared... (and, why I love Silver City)

Today was the first day that I walked to work pre-sunrise. I've feared this day for that past month because it means for the next six months I'll be walking in the dark, and that cold mountain mornings are just around the corner.

But, on my walk two things reminded me of why I love this town so much. The first was the rooster crow just before sunrise. I'm not sure about where you live, but as small as it is, this is still a city, and I love the fact that we have chickens and roosters and goats in backyards on almost every block.

The other thing that I love is that there was just one car on the entire walk. In our little city, no one comes out before sunrise, and everyone is at home by dusk. Vampires need not apply in our town, nor lounge lizards.

No comments: