Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Alinea: Plus One

[Tyler] "This next course is technically contraband," the sommelier said as he brought it to the table. "We're not allowed to sell it, but there's nothing that says we can't give it away."

It was, of course, foie gras, recently outlawed in the city of Chicago. And that's why I say our meal was "twenty four courses, plus one." They gave a course away.

The foie gras was surrounded by a delicate meringue. It looked a little like one of those horrible divinity candies everyone's mother used to make at Christmas. But the flavor was subtleness itself, and the texture was light and cloudlike. I've never really liked the fatty, ickiness of foie gras. But this I enjoyed thoroughly.

One more thing: If I was going to feel guilty about this meal, there was more obscenity than just the foie gras -- and, yes, I do feel a little guilty. :-)

No comments: