Thursday, April 1, 2010

Recent playing - shiny dome and cannelles

See me? I'm in the dome. Chocolate mousse, passionfruit curd, flourless chocolate cake and chocolate mirror glaze.

I'm not making Canelés de Bordeaux because that recipe is secret, but I am making Cannelés de Bordeaux ala Pierre Hermé. A full post will come soon. If you can't wait, click over to Syrup and Tang for an article that got me going on this journey.

And I don't think I've ever properly thanked Lois for her gift of wine made by family/friends, both of which were very nice indeed (and long since gone).

Nor did I appropriately thank Andrea for her recent gifts. The honey was the base for the stinky ice cream a couple of weeks ago and the vanilla liquor is sipping away.



9 comments:

Tri2Cook said...

Nice glaze. I wish I'd done something that fun today. Instead, we had a ridiculous number of red velvet cakes ordered for easter weekend that I had to work on.

Lois B said...

Hmmm, passion fruit curd. Beautiful!

You did thank me for the wine. I'm glad you enjoyed it. My parents are the wine makers, as well as beer, sausage, and my all time favorite bacon!

Sharlene T. said...

Oh, Wow! What a great shiny chocolate! Looks almost unreal. I will patiently wait for your recipe post. To read, because I don't really think I can do it. You, clever, clever, man. Thanks for posting.

isomer said...

That is a darned nice mirror glaze. Very well executed. I'm only a little jealous :)

Manggy said...

LOVE the mirror. Can't wait to see the canneles. My only problem with the mirror now is when I use it to glaze something very cold, funky things happen to it over time (surface becomes bumpy, and then there's the moisture thing. Sigh!)

Darienne said...

Incredible shine in that mirror glaze. Someday, when I feel the time is right, I am going to try to make a mirror glaze. In the meantime I shall admire yours. I do miss the old posts...

Gfron1 said...

Hmmm...lots of comments about mirror glaze. Its really my laziest finish because its so easy. Here's a demo (http://blogquat.blogspot.com/2009/01/playing-with-chocolate.html). But, Mark, your comment is interesting. I've never had that happen, but my old intern Patrick A has been running into that problem also. He and I have run through all of the variables and can't seem to isolate the problem. My only guess is his raw ingredients. His biggest problem is oil slicking after re-chill.

Anonymous said...

Traced this post back to your original recipe for the Mirror Glaze. What specific kind of cream did you have in mind?

Gfron1 said...

Anony - the cream is American heavy cream, although I've used the cream labeled "whipping" as well with no noticeable differences.