Saturday, August 1, 2009

Royal Foodie Joust: Banana Turmeric Honey


Over at Foodie Blog Roll, this month's Royal Foodie Joust was banana, tumeric and honey. A sweet was a bit too obvious for me (because that's all I ever do), so I opted for a nice summer cocktail. First, I took some fresh tumeric and a green banana, covered it with vodka, and let it sit for a few days. By the end of the third day the color was nice and dark with just a slight hint of banana.

My thought was that a riper banana would be too banana-ey for a cocktail, hence the green banana.

Meanwhile, I diluted some coffee blossom honey with water and froze it into spheres. Then I used THIS method for clarifying the alcohol. I've been using agar clarification a lot lately since the technique was published and it has been a godsend versus the old gelatin clarification. I'm still tinkering with ratios and a process for releasing the liquid at the end. Anyway for those of you who are inclined you should play with this. BTW, this is the technique I used at my recent tasting dinner for the clear gazpacho.

(doesn't this look like a yummy cocktail?)
But back to the drink. I then had a somewhat clear tumeric/bananaish vodka with a honey ice cube/sphere. One more garnish - ripe banana sprinkled in salt and madras curry and dried, and we were off for a good start to the weekend.

3 comments:

Tri2Cook said...

Sounds tasty. I've been waiting for another TGRWT challenge to pop up. I'm not really familiar with all the other sites that do challenges and I've been in the mood to do something. Maybe I should try to track down some other challenges to jump into... or I could just keep being lazy and read about the ones you do.

Gfron1 said...

I forgot to finish this post...ooops...busy week. I'll get the pics up soon and clean this mess up.

Tri2Cook said...

Looks tasty too! Nice!

Talk about wasting a wish, I should have asked for the winning lottery numbers. The new TGRWT has been announced.