Monday, May 11, 2009

Summer Pot Luck Contest: Shrimp


I had my first pot luck on Saturday and took our first submission, courtesy of RAHiggins from Vini Vidi Vino:

2 lb large shrimp with heads on
1/2 cup olive oil (Taste of Crete)
1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, sweet, unsalted
2 tsp garlic minced
one onion minced (green onion is mo better)
2 lemons halved, juiced
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup bbq rub (I used smoked Spanish paprika, palm sugar, szechuan)
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp Worchester (I used Bourbon Barrel Foods Sorghum worchester)
1/4 tsp cayenne
Louisiana Original hot sauce

Combine all ingredients except shrimps and put in the broiler until it almost burns. (throw those squeezed lemons in there too!) Add shrimps and stir around a bit.
Put pan back in oven and let cook 5 minutes, remove, stir, and put back in oven.
Take shrimps out when done, place contents in a nice serving bowl on a platter.

I'll save my comments for the end of the contest, but this one was fast and easy. The question about whether this is appropriate for a pot luck is fair. As long as you can serve these fast enough to keep them fresh, then I say yes. If they will have to set for a long time, then pass on this one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

From the picture I'm wondering if I forgot something. They seem a little dry or is there sauce underneath the shrimps in the picture?

Gfron1 said...

The sauce was underneath - a picture of soup is never as good as a picture of a mound of shrimp. There was plenty of jus.

Unknown said...

This recipe goes well with Cheese Grits.