Monday, May 25, 2009

How I spent my Memorial Day weekend...

Our local arts council puts on a Blues Fest, and so this year I thought we would try a booth. We served gumbo, alligator on a stick, sushi, pie in a cup and good sodas. By the end of Sunday I had dished up nearly 125 gallons of gumbo, 60 pounds of gator and 80 sushi rolls. But that wasn't the end of it.

I catered a 60th wedding anniversary for the Zapatas. The family came in from all across the country so they asked for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. For a cake I made a berry mousse and campari soaked genoise decorated with a callow lilly to honor their original wedding cake. But that wasn't all.

We hosted a Fairy Princess Tea Party for a 6 year old and her friends. This pic is before most of the guests arrived. And so now on Memorial Day monday, I rest. I hope everyone has a great one.

3 comments:

Manggy said...

Ooh, that cake is slick. Me want. I'd say more but I'm still awestruck at the idea of you dishing out so much gumbo!

Unknown said...

So you went with the traditional Jazzfest theme then. We almost went, but then my wife informed that we are having a child, so expensive fun stuff is on hold for 18 years or so...

Gfron1 said...

wow - I didn't know you were that close to coming out...were you really? We got rave reviews and even a Yelp write-up which is unusual because of our remoteness.