Monday, January 26, 2009

Crock Pot Recipe #8: Manggy's Kalbi Jim


I made a few modifications to Manggy's Kalbi Jim recipe to account for time and ingredients, but this was a very good recipe and not mushy at all.

2.5 lbs (1kg) beef short ribs, cut into about 2-inch lengths
1 cup soy sauce - (I foolishly used Black because I like the flavor but I should have used a lighter sauce since it was going to cook all day.)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 large carrots, cut into large chunks
a handful of dried mushrooms (I used a mix of oyster and shiitake)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
3 stalks green onions, chopped

Place the short ribs in the crock pot and add enough water to cover. Bring heat to high, then decrease to low until lunch time. At lunch I tossed in the remaining ingredients and left it on low until I came home at night. When I got home, I removed the lid and let the liquid boil off for 15 minutes on high (the time it took to cook rice.

I can definitely see how this would be outstanding if cooked according to his original recipe, but even with my modifications
this hit the spot. Low effort, high taste, good texture.

And pending any more submissions, next up is our final recipe sent via email: Vegetation's French Onion Lamb Chop Casserole.

2 comments:

Manggy said...

Yahhhr! You used black soy sauce? Sabotage, I tells ya! Kidding. I'm glad you liked it (I think :).

Gfron1 said...

My job is to test your recipe writing skills. Your job is to screw up! :)