Sunday, November 29, 2009

Recent Desserts

Here are a few recent desserts...stop me if I'm boring you.

Pierre Hermé's Mozart: Chocolate mousse with rum spiked apples sandwiched with cinnamon thin crust.

A simple cake for a Thanksgiving order: flourless chocolate discs, chocolate mousse, orange curd, mirror glaze and silver.

Chocolote Orange Explosion (aka using my leftovers): Chocolate mousse, orange curd, orange buttercream, candied peel, cacao nibs

Two tartlets: Drunken Cherry Orgasm Tart & Orange Curd with Almond Tart

Our anniversary cake: Amernick's pound cake, orange buttercream

This was supposed to make it into a dessert, but it was so good that I ate the whole bowl - Pierre Hermé's 24-hour Apples. Take 4 pounds of Granny Smith (or other firm, tart apples), peel them, cut them vertically in half, core them and then slice them 1/16" thick uniformly - I used a meat slicer. Butter a baking dish - preferably glass. Fan the apples over the entire surface, brush with melted butter and lightly sprinkle with sugar. He calls for white and next time I'll use palm sugar. Keep layering until all of your apples are used - I ended up with about six layers in this dish. Wrap the entire dish with two good coverings of saran wrap to make it airtight. Place the pan on a foil lined jelly roll pan.

Throw it in an oven set to 175ºF and bake for 10-12 hours. Make sure that if your oven has an automatic shut off that you disable it - mine is called Sabbath Mode. What comes out is perfectly soft and moist apples that maintain their structure. I was planning on making pithiviers filled with these but I'll have to start from scratch. A scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of these while warm would be diving!

5 comments:

RachelD said...

OH, Shut Up and get back in the kitchen.

After our using up all those leftovers and ordering in Chinese tonight, you had to do this.

grimace pout

Gfron1 said...

harsh :) It all balances out - I watched 2012 and ate fast food tonight.

Agg said...

loved the cakes
Great to see that the DLX can really make cakes
:)
Thanks so much!

Manggy said...

Which anniversary are we talking about? Yours and Tyler's or the store's? (sorry, I'm not keeping track of dates!!) Anyway, you won't hear me stopping you anytime soon :)

Gfron1 said...

The store annniversary. I would never make a dessert for Tyler and I - he doesn't like sweets.