Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Recipe: NYT Huguenot Torte


The New York Time's recently republished this recipe, originally printed in 1965 from The First Ladies Cook Book. Its extremely sweet, but very simple and fast to prepare.

2 Eggs
1/2 t Salt
1 1/2 C Sugar
1 C Apples, peeled
1 C Pecans, chopped
1 t Vanilla
4 T AP Flour
2 1/2 t Baking Powder
Whipped cream for topping

Oven to 325ºF

Beat eggs and salt until light and increased in volume. Slowly add the sugar into the egg mixture. Fold in the apples and nuts, then the vanilla, flour and baking powder. Pour into a greased 9x9 pan that is at least 2 inches deep. The torte will rise and crash so you need to leave room for the expansion. Bake 45 minutes or until crusty and brown.

Too sweet for me, but this reminds me of my St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake.

2 comments:

Tri2Cook said...

Cool... a recipe from the year I was born. You said it's extremely sweet, do you think reducing the sugar a bit would compromise the result? I'm just wondering because I tend to prefer apple desserts less sweet. My apple pies are only popular with certain people because I like them much more tart than most.

Gfron1 said...

Larry, I think I know your style well enough to say, don't bother. It was fast and fun, but not something I'll put any more time into.