Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy New Year 新年好! Pineapple Tart


Welcome to the Year of the Ox! Not quite sure what to make of that. Its not quite as fun as a monkey or a rat.

But maybe its more appropriate than we might think. It seems as if our world is in need of some non-flashy hard work, like an ox plowing a field. Its time for us as individuals to do the same. Ironically, if you remember my culinary goals for this year, my focus is on many of the basics, sort of like plowing my own culinary field. Maybe we'll even see life slow down a bit more so we can enjoy each others company. We can make those choices.

I always want our local Chinese restaurants to do something special for new years but they never do. This year, I saw many of my favorite Chinese food bloggers making pineapple tarts and cookies, so I jumped on the rickshaw and made my own. My inspiration came from one of my all time favorite blog pics - Jumanggy's Tempatation Tower. My version started with a recipe from Ong's Sweet Spot.

Maybe someone can fill me in on the symbolism of the pineapple for this celebration, but it fit the bill as I welcomed Tyler back home. Both the low-key sweetness of the tart and the symbolic hospitality of the pineapple made for the perfect dessert.

1 Pineapple, cut into smallish pieces
1/3 C. Palm Sugar
Zest and Juice of 1 Lime
2 T. Rum
2 T. Butter

Put pineapple, sugar and lime zest and juice in skillet on medium. Stir regularly for about 10 minutes or until things start to seem dry. Add the rum and butter and turn to low, cooking for about 20 minutes, stirring as you think of it. Cool to room temp then put 3/4 of mixture in food processor leaving the remaining as larger chunks.

250g (one small container) of Mascarapone
2 T. Rum
1 C. Cream
2 T. Sugar

Whisk rum and mascarapone together. Beat the cream and sugar until medium peaks form. Fold pineapple mixture into the mascarapone mixture, then gently fold in the cream. Pour/scrape into your pie or tart shell, or into cocktail glasses. Fast and simple!

2 comments:

Manggy said...

Oh... You flatter me. :) Thanks. I'm glad you like the POng recipe, too. All that cheese and cream was a tad too rich for me, but then again I eat a lot of dessert and my guests don't, I guess :) The dried pineapple "flowers" look lovely!

Gfron1 said...

Did I say I liked it...Pong is not impressing me.