Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Crock Pot Recipe #9: Vegetation's French Onion Lamb Chop Casserole


And last but not least...my final crock pot recipe in the contest! Vegetation sent me this relatively easy recipe that was fast and tasty. She did push my limits by calling for a soup packet but I sucked it up and bought some. Here we go:

French Onion Lamb Chop Casserole
Cooking Oil Spray
8 (1kg) lean Lamb Chump Chops
6 baby Onions, halved (you can also just throw in a handful of that pre-chopped frozen onion and it's loads quicker!)
2 cloves Garlic, minced or crushed
2 small (400g) leeks, sliced
40g packet French Onion Soup Mix
1 1/2 cups (375ml) Water
1 Tbsp chopped fresh Parsley

Coat the slow cooker insert with cooking oil spray. Put in your chops, onions, garlic and leeks. Mix the soup mix and water together and pour over the lamb and onion mixture. Set on low and cook.

How 'bout those for short instructions. I used our locally raised 4-H lamb chomps which we've enjoyed in the past. We added the leeks halfway through because I forgot to buy them, but that didn't seem to matter. Overall it fit the bill for ease of preparation and flavor. So now I'm off for the judging (pending any last second entries). You'll note that I skipped Duncan's non-recipe since that would take effort to find create a recipe, and I skipped a couple of your 2nd entries to be fair and practical. I will contact the winner Friday night so they can collect their prize - which I'll show on Saturday (if I can reach the winner in time). Thanks again to everyone who offered recipes.

4 comments:

Manggy said...

AHAHAHAHA! You are too funny. (nooo.... that's not sucking up.) I'm not going to say any more! ;)

Amy said...

Haha, sorry about the packet mix! We ordinarily don't buy stuff like that either but the Mr thinks it's worth it for his favourite casserole :P

Anonymous said...

You didn't say how long to cook.

Also, I have a son with allergies and would prefer to use chicken broth/stock measured the same as water needed instead of the soup packet mixed with water...think that would work?

Please reply soon, I am cooking on Thursday! email is jillo1987 at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

Gfron1 said...

Cook no less than 4 hours but 6-8 is preferable. And I think that would actually be a nice substitution. Less salt. You might add some onion salt if you can or if that's the allergy, add garlic or something to replace that flavor.