Thursday, January 8, 2009

Crock Pot Recipe #5: Bridget's Pulled Pork

I'm much too mature to comment on this post's title (snicker), so here it is:

While not a full meal in itself, this was a surprising complex dish.

I expected a basic shredded meat slathered in sauce, but the rub made it interesting, complex and not overly sweet as bbq sauce can tend to do. Here is Bridget's recipe:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
(spice rub from Cooks Illustrated)
Spice Rub:
1 T. ground black pepper
1-2 t. cayenne pepper
2 T. chili powder (I used Ancho because I care)
2 T. ground cumin (I toasted, then ground)
2 T. dark brown sugar
1 T. dried oregano
4 T. paprika (Too general since I have five different paprikas at home. I used Hungarian sweet.)
2 T. salt (I used a Spanish sea salt)

1 T. sugar
1 T. ground white pepper

1 (6-8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder (From our 4-H pig)
½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional) (I didn't have this, so I didn't use it)
2 cups barbecue sauce (Ginger People Hickory is what I had)

1. Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl.
2. Massage spice rub into meat. Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (I didn't have time for this step.)

3. Unwrap roast and place it in slow cooker liner. Add liquid smoke, if using, and ¼ cup water. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 12-14 hours, until meat is fork-tender.
4. Transfer roast to cutting board; discard liquid in liner. “Pull” by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.
5. Place shredded meat back in slow cooker liner; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce, and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.

I served this on our fresh Greek pita, warmed until soft in a skillet, and had a little side salad because my bowels are revolting against all of this over-cooked meat and veggie glop (I use that term affectionately). Very good dinner - thanks Bridget. Next up - Tri2Cook's "This may be strange" ginger meat dish. (I would kill for something crisp right now!)

No comments: