Sunday, February 1, 2009

Daring Bakers: Tuiles & A Spanish Moment


This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

I decided to integrate the tuile into a catering job I had last night for a Spanish dinner. Here's the whole menu...

We started with an amuse of piñon horchata genoise with cinnamon infused blood orange ice.

I could have stopped there. The ice was so amazing that I finished off the bowl of it in the kitchen while the guests ate the rest of the meal.

Next up was a small tapas plate:

The olives were a mix of hordelian (I don't think that's the real name) and black colossals warmed in a crock pot all day in olive oil with orange and fennel. Papas with hot smoked paprika and goat and avocado carnitas cones.

Ensalada:

Organic greens topped with pan warmed pimiento strips, almonds and brandy soaked raisins.

Caldo Gallego from Menu del Dia:

Pork and bean soup with spinach. The pork was locally raised bacon ends and the beans were Chaco Canyon River Runner and Spotted Horse beans raised near Gila, NM. I finished it with some arbequina oil.

Braised Oxtails with Xèrès Vinegar:

Cooked all day, I seasoned the oxtails with Sel Gris, a few liberal dousings of the xèrès and onion. I plated it with saffron rice, spicy aged balsamic from Maletti, cauliflower espuma infused with black truffles and a white asparagus spear.

And finally, the postre - Spanish Nuts

The half sphere is orange almond cremieux inside of pistachio mousse, sprayed with chocolate, served with the tuile and savory chocolate soil.

This was one of the best meals I've ever made or served.

7 comments:

Manggy said...

Ah! You mean this surpasses or comes close to last year's green chile dinner? :) Looks awesome-- did you document the postres?

Gfron1 said...

Its too different of a style for me to compare the two meals. This was gussy-up'd peasant food v. the chile dinner modernist style. Let's just say that this one tasted damn good. And I didn't have any time to document the dessert - I've also found that without good camera lighting, sometimes I just not motivated to try.

Tri2Cook said...

Nice menu! Everything looks great and sounds tasty. I love seeing these posts on your dinners. Always beautiful food and always a surprise or two so I get to learn something. I've never had olives done that way before, warmed all day in olive oil with seasonings. What are they like? They sound really tasty and I bet they get a nice texture as well.

Gfron1 said...

tyler and I first had olives done this way at a great restaurant in Nashville. They slow cooked the olives which made them incredibly soft, succulent and a bit oily in a good way. I had to use dried fennel, but they simply split a bulb which was much better than my version.

Diana said...

Wow, it all looks amazing! I have never tried olives that way. Don't know if I will because although I love them, my husband hates thema and calls them "poison" :) How long would they last do you think?

Gfron1 said...

Mine last about 2 minutes :) I assume you mean - can they be stored for later. I've done it once or twice where I just kept them in the crock and re-warmed. I'm sure they would do just fine in a container covered in oil. On the re-heat, warm for an hour instead of all day since they will already be softened.

Y said...

Everything looks delicious! And I love how you used the DB challenge tuile as well.